11.04.2008

Yarn of the Dog

My very cool friend Dave sent me the link to a blog, If It’s Hip It’s Here, that features a series of photographs by Erwan Fichou of people posing with their dogs that are wearing clothing made from the hair (or fur) of their dogs. Yes, that’s right.
Believe it or not I already knew about the practice (not the pictures). Earlier this year I saw a segment about saving and spinning your pooches hair on Martha. She had her beloved Paw Paw’s hair spun into yarn and was trying to decide what to make with it.

What’s funny is that when I saw the segment on Martha it reminded me that many, many years ago a very important customer of mine was into raising dogs. A breed I hadn’t heard of prior and rarely since, Bouvier des Flandres. Anyway, he was wearing a scarf that his girlfriend made for him from yarn she spun (all by herself) from all the dog hair she saved after brushing. I have to say that once he told me that story about his scarf I was totally distracted by the dog scarf and kind of grossed out the whole time we were having dinner. I just couldn’t stop looking at that scarf and wondering if it was clean, did it smell like dog, would people be allergic to it, would dogs want to hump you when you wear it. I just thought the whole thing was weird and couldn’t even imagine wearing anything made from dog hair. This had to be at least 12 years ago, funny how it is catching on now. Or is it?

I must admit, for a moment, after I watched it on Martha I thought I could save all the hair I cut off Bailey and have a scarf made. Then I thought you are a crazy cat lady but with a dog. I just can’t get over the gross factor.

So it must definitely must be hip to wear your dog, I mean your dog’s hair, but you decide for yourself, check out Martha's Blog that includes a detailed description of the process.

I won’t judge but I might try to see if you smell if you are wearing a scarf of your dog.

No comments: